Almost two weeks ago now our eldest daughter S officially moved into our home for good. No more weekend visits, no more transitions back and forth to the foster home, officially a family forever! We unpacked and settled in. Things have been intense and awkward, wonderful and heartwarming since then. I am tired from a long day and long weekend but I wanted to share some awesome and hard moments from the past two weeks.
– Less sleep (if you know me, you know how hard this is!)
– Emotional effects on me of parenting a traumatized child.
– Setting limits when the limit and the trauma are butting up against each other.
– Sibling rivalry made much more worse by the history of trauma in their lives.
– The amount of repetition that needs to be done on a daily, and hourly, basis when there are kids (I feel like a broken record!)
– Leading our eldest daughter to salvation in Christ!!!!
– Worshiping in church with all 3 kids.
– Bedtime after all the kids are asleep and I can actually talk to my husband for what seems like the first time all day.
– Being called “mom” and “mommy” even if the tone is sassy and mean.
– Learning to be a parent with Joel
– Watching my traumatized children beginning the process of feeling comfortable enough around me to begin to test and trust